September 15, 2022 / Recipes 2018 Abbey Oaks Vineyard Pinot Noir paired with Oxtail Bruschetta
2018 Abbey Oaks Vineyard Pinot Noir paired with Oxtail Bruschetta
Skill: intermediate Serves: 4
The 2018 Abbey Oaks Vineyard Pinot Noir is rich and opulent, giving it the courage to stand up to the heaviest of dishes. This wine pairs well with savory, slow-cooked meats, complimenting the dark fruit and structured tannins of this remarkable wine.
- 3 oxtails
- 2 cups red cooking wine
- 4 cups chicken stock + ½ cup
- 2 bunches of parsley
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 orange zested
- 1 onion
- 1 shallot
- 1 loaf sourdough
- 2 oz baby arugula
- ½ cup crème Fraiche
- black pepper
- sherry vinegar
- neutral oil
- olive oil
- Oxtail Marinade: Pour the cooking red wine into a saucepot. Simmer at medium heat until reduced by half. Cool completely. Add oxtails, 1 cup olive oil, and 1 bunch of parsley into a plastic freezer bag and marinate overnight.
- Braised Oxtails: Roughly chop the onion. Strain the marinade off the oxtails and place the meat onto paper towels to dry completely. Reserve the marinade liquid.
- Once oxtails are dry (30 or so minutes), heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven (big enough to hold the oxtails snugly).
- Season the oxtails with salt and sear on all sides. Once the oxtails are seared, add the onion, reserved marinade liquid (about 1 cup), and chicken stock.
- Place the oxtails into the simmering liquid and braise for 3-5 hours.
- When the oxtails are braised, shred the meat off the bone and season with salt and paper to taste.
- Gremolata: Finely chop the remaining parsley and shallot. Add to mixing bowl. Add the zest of the fruits and a touch of sherry vinegar. Add olive oil until just barely covering the ingredients. Add the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and juice of the zested lemon.
- Crème Fraiche: Pour the crème fraiche into a small mixing bowl. Crack a generous amount of black pepper into the crème fraiche.
- Spoon the crème fraiche into a piping bag or squeeze bottle. If you do not have a piping bag or squeeze bottle, it can simply be dolloped on with a spoon.
- Plating: Slice the bread into 1” thick slices.
- Lightly brush oil onto the cut side of the bread. On a grill pan or hot skillet, char the bread until crispy. Brush with olive oil again once off the grill. Lightly season with salt to taste.
- In a pan, add the reserved ½ cup of chicken stock and bring to a very gentle simmer. Add the shredded oxtail. Heat through and adjust seasoning.
- In a mixing bowl, dress the arugula with olive oil and lemon Juice. Place shredded oxtail, a dollop of crème fraiche, and arugula onto the toasted bread.
Keep On Reading
November 27, 2023 / Learn / News
Domaine Serene Announces 2023 Vertical Initiative Winners
October 24, 2023 / Recipes
Elevate your dining: Sommelier Charles' recommended wine with a mouthwatering recipe
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Discover the perfect pairing: Sommelier Molly's Signature Recipe for her Favorite Wine
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Embark on a flavor adventure: Sommelier Adam's recipe perfectly complements an exquisite wine