September 17, 2021 / Recipes Baked Salmon With Roasted Fennel-Ginger Butternut Squash
Baked Salmon With Roasted Fennel-Ginger Butternut Squash
Pair With 2018 Domaine Serene, ‘Coeur Blanc’ White Pinot Noir
- 2 portions Coho or King Salmon
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- Avocado oil (optional)
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered into wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and quartered into wedges
- 1 finger fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a layer of aluminum foil or parchment paper on a sheet pan with a little avocado oil. Portion salmon and lay skin side down on the lined pan. Brush the top of the salmon with olive oil and then season with garlic salt, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place salmon in the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes. Adjust depending on size of salmon portions. Sockeye salmon or thinner portions may need 6-8 minutes, while Coho or fatter portions may need 8-12 minutes. When salmon is done, it should be opaque and flake easily when you gently press on it with your finger. Pull from the oven, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Toss squash, fennel, onion and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Evenly mix cinnamon, cumin, sea salt, ginger and orange zest, then combine in a bowl with vegetables.
- Spread the vegetables across a large sheet pan and roast 30-45 minutes, turning once. Squash should be tender and lightly browned when cooked. Quickly squeeze orange juice across the pan, then transfer vegetables to a bowl to serve.
- Pair this deceptively simple dish with vivacious wines with both bright fruit and mouthwatering minerality, such as our 2018 Domaine Serene, ‘Coeur Blanc’ White Pinot Noir. The complex and delightful ‘Coeur Blanc’ has the fuller body of a red wine and the brightness and acidity of a white wine. With its flavors of crisp red apple, it is delightful with the citrus and herbaceous notes in the dish, but also has the structure and weight to pair well with autumn squash and comforting warm spices.
Keep On Reading
November 27, 2023 / Learn / News
Domaine Serene Announces 2023 Vertical Initiative Winners
October 24, 2023 / Recipes
Elevate your dining: Sommelier Charles' recommended wine with a mouthwatering recipe
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Discover the perfect pairing: Sommelier Molly's Signature Recipe for her Favorite Wine
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Embark on a flavor adventure: Sommelier Adam's recipe perfectly complements an exquisite wine