September 15, 2023 / Recipes Meyer Lemon & Herb Roasted Turkey With Root Vegetables
Meyer Lemon & Herb Roasted Turkey With Root Vegetables
Pair With 2018 Domaine Serene, ‘Evenstad Reserve’ Chardonnay
- 1 whole turkey
- 1 ½ stick unsalted room temperature butter
- 2 tbsp finely diced sage
- 2 tbsp finely diced rosemary
- 2 tbsp finely diced thyme
- 1 whole head roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Meyer lemons, zested then quartered
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 4 large carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- 3 large Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 2 tbsp diced rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Pull the turkey from the fridge and thoroughly pat dry, inside the cavity as well as outside. For easier clean up, wrap your roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- In a food processor, combine sage, rosemary, thyme, roasted garlic, half of the Meyer lemon zest and butter until evenly mixed and butter is smooth. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- First, season the cavity with salt and pepper, then use the quartered Meyer lemon pieces to rub down the interior. Next, rub the herb butter liberally over the turkey, taking care to coat under the skin as well as on top. Finish with the herb butter in the cavity of the turkey and stuff with 8 quarters of the lemons, squeezing out the juice in the interior. The lemons should not pack the turkey too tightly. Reserve the remaining lemons and zest for the roasted vegetables. Season over the top with salt and fresh ground pepper. (If your turkey is brined, take care to not overseason.) Truss the turkey.
- Set your trussed turkey in the roasting pan and rack and then place in the oven and roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and roast for about 2 ½ - 4 hours, depending on the size of the turkey. In general, the bird will need 20 minutes of cooking per pound and should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Baste every 15-30 minutes (add chicken broth to the bottom of the pan if needed). If the skin begins to darken too much, tent with a piece of foil.
- When the thigh registers 165 degrees F and juices run clear, pull the turkey from the oven. Tent it with aluminum foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. Chop the carrots, celery, apples, and sweet potatoes in large chunks, after peeling as needed. Quarter the sweet onions. Toss the vegetables and the remaining quartered lemons in avocado oil and season with salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on a sheet pan. Add to the bottom rack of the oven, when the turkey has about 30 minutes left. After pulling the turkey out, toss the vegetables on the sheet pan and let them roast another 30 minutes while the turkey rests. Pair with our award-winning 2018 ‘Evenstad Reserve’ Chardonnay. With its bright fruit and supple texture, it is the perfect pairing for this dish. Also recommended are our elegant ‘r’ Rosé version XII and our versatile 2018 ‘Coeur Blanc’ White Pinot Noir.
Keep On Reading
November 27, 2023 / Learn / News
Domaine Serene Announces 2023 Vertical Initiative Winners
October 24, 2023 / Recipes
Elevate your dining: Sommelier Charles' recommended wine with a mouthwatering recipe
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Discover the perfect pairing: Sommelier Molly's Signature Recipe for her Favorite Wine
October 23, 2023 / Recipes
Embark on a flavor adventure: Sommelier Adam's recipe perfectly complements an exquisite wine